According to the finalized General Development Plan (GDP) for the Yahara Commons project passed on June 12, 2017 on the City of Monona’s website, the project will entail three phases. Properties assembled in the general area are bounded by West Broadway, Bridge Road and the Yahara River (view a map). Excluded from the project area will be the Monona Bank property and everything to the north east of the telecom structure located at the south west corner of the Four Lakes Yacht Club.
Galway Companies is the developer of the proposed Yahara Commons project—a mixed use development of approximately 8.5 acres to be constructed in three phases. The City of Monona will maintain ownership of the land which will become the public right of way and public park. Phase 1 (2.17 acres) is to be completed no later than December 31, 2018. The City of Monona will complete the following prior to completion of the Phase 1 building:
• Demolition and clearing of development parcel
• Construct “Lower Metropolitan Lane” (LML)
• Construct the intersection with Broadway
• Water, sanitary sewer and electrical beneath LML
• Construct city storm sewer facility in LML and public park. The development team will construct a 5 story mixed use building over a lower level parking garage to be at the same elevation as the public park. The height of the building above the average grade plane is approximately 66’ and the total gross square footage is approximately 126,400 s.f. The lower level parking garage is the entire footprint of the surface parking lot and the building.
Building features include:
• 96 residential apartments – 21% Studio, 54% 1 BR, and 25% 2 BR o Residential club room, fitness room, and rooftop patio
• 24,050 s.f of commercial space at the 1st Foor (Broadway level)
• 3,800 s.f. commercial space (intended for special events) at the public park level
• 3,000 s.f. park building, leased back to city for public restrooms, park maintenance storage, and a multi-purpose room that could function as a concession stand, ice skate rental, etc.
• 178 Indoor parking spaces
• 88 Surface parking spaces + 14 street parking spaces
• Architectural Entrance monument and signage at the new Broadway entrance.
Phase 2 (2.06 acres) is to be completed no later than December 31, 2021. The City of Monona will complete the following prior to completion of the Phase 2 building:
• Reconstruct Upper Metropolitan Lane (UML)
• Bury overhead electrical service of UML
• Construct roadway between LML and Bridge Road
• Construct park amenities
• Complete necessary water, sanitary sewer, city storm sewer and electrical The development team will construct a 4 story residential building over a lower level parking garage. This building could potentially have a senior living component, but will not include any commercial space. The building will be approximately 55’ tall and the total gross square footage is approximately 170,400 s.f. The lower level parking garage is the entire footprint of the building as well as the three green roof areas.
Building features include:
• 140 residential apartments – 25% Studio, 50% 1BR, and 25% 2BR
• Private green roof area over parking garage. Geometry of building aligned to engage and strengthen the organization around the public park.
• 178 indoor parking stalls
• Club room at the public park level.
• Potential shared green space along bike path for public bike parking
• Walk up units along Bridge Road
Phase 3 (1.28 acres) is to be completed no later than December 31, 2021. The development team will construct a 3 story commercial office building over a lower level parking garage. The building will be approximately 45’ tall (3 stories) and the total gross square footage is approximately 33,600 s.f. This lower level garage could expand to the extents of the parcel, similar to phase 1 for additional parking.
Building features include:
• 11,200 s.f / floor of commercial office space
• Central core adjacent to entrance lobby
• 30 indoor parking spaces
• 80 surface spaces
• Numerous cafes, brew houses and restaurants located within walking distance of Yahara Commons including Off Broadway Drafthouse, Waypoint Public House and the Breakwater
• Located on the Monona Lake Loop, Dane County’s most popular bike ride with bike lanes present on West Broadway and on Bridge Road
• Located minutes from the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus and connected via the Capital City State Trail
• 29 eateries located on Monona Drive alone, many ethnic and locally-owned
• Easy access to hotels
• Prime waterfront location with a public plaza at the heart of the development
• Central city access located just off the Beltline Highway, minutes to the Interstate Highway and close to Dane County Regional Airport
• Public transportation offered through Madison Metro and Monona Transit
• A thriving business community located on Lake Monona
• The City of Monona is business friendly with a population of 8,614 (2016 census) residents and over 450 businesses located within a 3.3 sq. mile footprint.
If you have interest in locating your business in an urban center on the Yahara River, please contact Kristie Schilling at the Monona East Side Business Alliance or contact the City of Monona’s Economic Development Director, Sonja Reichertz.
Kristie Schilling, Executive Director of the Monona East Side Business Alliance – (608) 222-8565
Sonja Reichertz, City of Monona Economic Development Director – (608) 222-2525